Sunday 24 April 2011

Haydn's Masterpiece

Want to experience something beautiful? Try Haydn's symphony no. 94 movement 2, dubbed as the 'surprise symphony'. It was because Haydn "...was interested in surprising the public with something new, and in making a brilliant debut..." Check it out (not for the faint of heart though. I'm not responsible if you get a heart attack and die of the beauty)



In Haydn's old age, George August Griesinger, his biographer, asked whether he wrote this "surprise" to awaken the audience. Haydn replied:
"No, but I was interested in surprising the public with something new, and in making a brilliant debut, so that my student Pleyel, who was at that time engaged by an orchestra in London (in 1792) and whose concerts had opened a week before mine, should not outdo me. The first Allegro of my symphony had already met with countless Bravos, but the enthusiasm reached its highest peak at the Andante with the Drum Stroke. Encore! Encore! sounded in every throat, and Pleyel himself complimented me on my idea."

See? Haydn knew what he was doing XD

Btw whenever I listen to it, it always sound so soft everywhere and in every version. It's so frustrating. Try turning your volume up
(I'm serious about the heart attack thing though)

No comments:

Post a Comment