Monday 11 November 2013

Lady Gaga - Dope (Youtube Music Awards)

A very emotional interpretation from Mrs. Wonka Lady Gaga. With lots of growls and a voice that sounds like she's THIS close to crying (maybe she WAS crying? The beginning looks pretty genuine. But I am a bit gullible though) . Despite looking like Willy Wonka's bride, I like the song.

It was very emotional which I think makes it okay that there was an itsy bitsy pitch problem. Because singing while crying is hard. And weird. She used a little bit too much vibrato to my liking but some people like that.

Even though I think the growls are a little bit too hard, but it makes the performance really organic. I got to say I've never heard that harsh of a growl on a song before. One of the things that musical technology can't fully develop is the organic quality of a performance. So all in all, I think Lady Gaga did very well on this.

The opening verse was really.. somber.

[Verse 1]
It's off, it's on
The party's just begun
I promise this
This drink is my last one
I know that I fucked up again
Because I lost my only friend
God forgive my sins
Don't leave me, I
Oh I will hate myself until I die

Not what we would expect from a pop diva. But, I really enjoyed it. 5 stars from me to you, ms Germanotta.

No comments:

Post a Comment